The Most Rev. and Rt. Hon. Dr. Rowan Williams is the 104th Archbishop of Canterbury; Primate of the Church of England and leader of the world-wide Anglican Communion. He is pictured below with the Rev. Robert Willis, the Dean of Canterbury Cathedral, taking his oath in 2003 on the ancient Canterbury Gospels. Did he realize what he was getting himself into when he took that oath?
Williams was recently removed from my list of people that should be ashamed of themselves. I was originally going to post this list as today's entry, but having just come from church and hearing a wonderful sermon about mutual dependence and not being stingy with love (IV Pentecost), I shall save it for later. With all of the shenanigans that have gone down the past week in the aftermath of General Convention 2006, I have been very upset with various leaders of our Anglican Communion, and within our Episcopal Church in the USA. The ABC was on my list when I read the news reports that proclaimed that he had decided to relegate churches like the Episcopal Church to second-class citizen status in the Communion. His actual statement was a little more nuanced than that, and I appreciated its honesty, sensitivity, and theological consciousness.
I invite you to read the text version of Rowan Williams' "Reflection" on being Anglican today here. There is also a link to an audio version in the Archbishop's own voice on that same ACNS page.
Williams was recently removed from my list of people that should be ashamed of themselves. I was originally going to post this list as today's entry, but having just come from church and hearing a wonderful sermon about mutual dependence and not being stingy with love (IV Pentecost), I shall save it for later. With all of the shenanigans that have gone down the past week in the aftermath of General Convention 2006, I have been very upset with various leaders of our Anglican Communion, and within our Episcopal Church in the USA. The ABC was on my list when I read the news reports that proclaimed that he had decided to relegate churches like the Episcopal Church to second-class citizen status in the Communion. His actual statement was a little more nuanced than that, and I appreciated its honesty, sensitivity, and theological consciousness.
I invite you to read the text version of Rowan Williams' "Reflection" on being Anglican today here. There is also a link to an audio version in the Archbishop's own voice on that same ACNS page.
Photo: James Rosenthal/Anglican World

Father we pray for your holy catholic Church;
That we all may be one.
Grant that every member of the Church may truly and humbly serve you;
That your Name may be glorified by all people.
We pray for all bishops, priests and deacons;
That they may be faithful ministers of your Word and Sacraments.
That we all may be one.
Grant that every member of the Church may truly and humbly serve you;
That your Name may be glorified by all people.
We pray for all bishops, priests and deacons;
That they may be faithful ministers of your Word and Sacraments.

0 comments:
Post a Comment